Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gates is Guilford's #1 Basketball Supporter


                  It’s fairly common for Division I schools to have fans that do not attend the institution, yet attend every game and follow the team closely. This phenomenon rarely exists at Guilford, except in the case of basketball super fan Andrew Gates.
                  Gate’s affection for the Quakers dates back to 2001 when his older sister, Sarah Gates Keel ’04, attended Guilford.
                   “My sister is 10 years ahead of me and we couldn’t do anything outside of the family except go to Guilford games, ” Gates said.
                  “Andrew wanted to go to Burger King and play in the ball pit, and Sarah wanted to go shopping or something. Basketball is something everybody could be happy with,” said Lynn Gates, Andrew’s mother.
                  Former Guilford associate head coach Matt Parke met Gates, asked him to come to games, and Gates has been coming ever since. Now Gates is on his way to a Guilford diploma as he will be a full time student at Guilford next school year.
                  “To me this is the way basketball should be,” he Gates “These kids aren’t getting full rides to come here. They come to play here because they love the game. It’s more pure basketball to me than Division I.”
                  In the 10 years Gates has been following the Quakers, he’s seen some of the best players in school history as Guilford grew into a national power.
                  “My three favorite players I’ve seen here is a tie between Ben Strong ‘08, Tyler Sanborn ‘10, and Josh Pittman ‘13,” said Gates, who appreciates players that score the ball. “My favorite graduating class would have to be (Caleb) Kimbrough’s class ‘07.”
                  “My favorite game would have to be the Sweet 16 game (against Lincoln Pa.) at Virginia Wesleyan when Jordan Snipes banked in about a 20-foot leaner to send the game into overtime and Ben Strong scored 59.”
                  Gates hopes to be remembered as a positive supporter. “I just encourage. If somebody has a down game, I just go congratulate them anyway. I just want to be there encouraging and supporting.”
                  Lynn Gates agreed saying, “We’re with you through thick and thin and it’s so gratifying to see you grow up and come together as a team.”

No comments:

Post a Comment